Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rosin Eating Zombies

When I was in second grade I remember desperately wanting to learn how to play the piano. I would talk at great length to my mother about the possibility of taking piano lessons. After some cajoling on my part, and a friend of our family calling to say she was thinking about starting to teach piano lessons (this carried way more weight than my interest in taking piano lessons) I was delivered to her basement door with six new piano books in hand.

For six or seven weeks I would dutifully call the neighbor across the street to see if I could come to her house and practice. Then I would take my life into my own hands, cross the street (which is really a major highway where the speed limit is 45 mph and cars routinely go 60) and practice my neighbor's piano. That is the definition of a really nice neighbor...someone who will let another person's kid practice piano in the BEGINNING of their taking lessons. And as I recall my Dad never grew to like my practicing ...even at the end.

After six or seven weeks, I became somewhat of an expert in our family and I was recruited to help with buying our first family piano. Interestingly enough, although I was invited on the shopping trips to pluck the keys of the pianos up for consideration, I knew my own limitation and I would just shrug my shoulders when asked if I liked this piano verses that piano. When all was said and done we selected a piano, based mostly on price as I recall. I can still tell you how much my parents first piano cost and I could probably recite most of the sales pitch about how pianos are one thing that never lose their value etc. Of course, this is STILL one of the sales pitches being used today or at least it was still being used last year when Hal and I bought a piano.

When the piano was delivered safely to our home it was a thing of much fascination and interest. I remember sitting on the piano bench next to my Dad that very evening. As near as I can remember, this was the only time he ever sat on the piano bench FACING the piano. Of course, my parents had yet to be privy to my musical talents as all of them were being developed at the Keetch's home. My Dad opened my still new-looking books and wanted me to teach him how to play a random song...somewhere near the end of the book. When it turned out that I was not going to be any good as an instructor he began "guessing" what the code to playing the piano was (he is an engineer and everything has a code that just needs to be figured out).

During this evening of playing on our new toy Dad decided that the notes that were filled in black must be the black keys on the piano. The notes that were "hollow" or white inside would be the white keys. Of course, he checked with me to see if he was right. I of course considered this idea and thought I sure don't play on the black keys and I had lots of black notes in my songs. So I discouraged this particular decoding. This of course only served to frustrate him. This experience kind of sums up how much "help" I received as I ventured to learn how to play an instrument. I am eternally grateful that I was allowed this experience at all as it has come to bless my life, even though I am not able to "play" the piano, at least not in public. I continued taking piano lessons for many years and once in a while my Dad didn't even mind me practicing.

As you may know, all three of my kids play a musical instrument. Hannah chose the violin when she was very young (I think she started violin lessons when she was four.) I of course had never even held a violin in my hands so I was not of much use. It kind of reminded me of my own early days playing the piano and the kind of help I received from my non-piano playing parents. Hannah, however, has done so much more with this talent that I ever was able to do. I am grateful for her example. As a side note, I bought a book entitled Helping Parents Practice. This, of course, was a concept I was unprepared for...helping in the practicing process with my children. But, I am proud to say I do participate. Hannah, of course, is beyond needing my help but I do help Joshua practice. And I am the President of Hannah's Youth Symphony...don't laugh!

Friday night Hannah had a concert with her community youth symphony group. She plays in the Chamber Orchestra as a first violin. They did an amazing job! One of the songs they played was Rosin Eating Zombies! That is an interesting treat for someone who has never heard that song.

Hannah works very hard at everything she does. I am really proud of her for being so dedicated to her violin practices. This year she has also begun playing the piano. :)


A very short video of a portion of one of her songs!


No comments: